Arlene Klotz’s handwoven vest took top honors at the 2013 Spokane Interstate Fair. SHG salutes this talented member!
Arlene says the fabric for this vest “was a joy to weave.” Here are the details:
- The warp yarn used was “Elsebeth Lavold Silky Wool Designer’s Choice.”
- The weft was a peacock blue 8/2 wool.
- An 8-dent reed was used at 2 per dent, so 16 epi.
- The three bands between the red/orange stripes were woven in a Celtic Braid for the two fronts. (See close-up photo.)
- The rest of the weaving is plain weave.
- The back pieces and facings are all plain weave.
- Finishing was a brisk hand washing and line dried. Shrinkage was 5%.
- The warp was 20 1/4 inches wide and nearly 7 yards were needed for the 2 fronts, 2 backs and the facings.